Wednesday 28 October 2015

VOCABULARY: Crime and Punishment (B2 / C1)


Below you will find a mindmap with the most common vocabulary related with the topic of "Crime and Punishment". Have a look at all the words there and do the activity below.










1. Match the crimes with the examples.
1. BLACKMAIL
2. BRIBERY
3. BURGLARY
4. DRUG DEALING
5. FRAUD
6. HIJACKING
7. KIDNAPPING
8. MUGGING
9. MURDER
10. RAPE
11. ROBBERY
12. SMUGGLING
13. TERRORISM
14. THEFT
15. VANDALISM

A. A gang took a rich man's son and asked the family for money.
B. She went to her ex-husband's house and shot him dead.
C. A passenger on a flight made the pilot land in the desert.
D. After the party the man made the woman have sex against her will.
E. We came home from holiday and found that our TV had gone.
F. Someone tried to sell me some marijuana during a concert.
G. When the border police searched his car, it was full of cigarettes.
H. Someone threw pain on the statue in the park.
I. He said he'd send the photos to a newspaper if the actress didn't pay him a lot of money.
J. An armed man walked into a bank and shouted, "Hands up!"
K. A man transferred company money into his own bank account.
L. A builder offered the mayor a free flat in return for a favour.
M. Two men left a bomb in the supermarket car park.
N. Somebody stole my car last night outside my house.
O. A man held out a knife and make me give him my wallet.



2. Read the following text and choose the correct alternative in each pair.



Last year my house was broken into and 1 robbed/stolen. I immediately informed the police. A police officer came to the house and asked me to make a list of what had been 2 robbed/stolen. I told him my neighbours had seen someone suspicious at the time of the 3 forgery/burglary, so they had to go to the police station and 4 make/do a statement. About a month later the police contacted me to say they had arrested a 5 defendant/suspect. When the case came to court, I went to 6 give/tell evidence. Of course, the man 7 admitted/pleaded not guilty. The 8 jury/lawyer decided there was not enough proof to 9 try/convict him,and he was 10 let off/let go.











ANSWER KEY:


1)
1.I
2.L
3.E
4.F
5.K
6.C
7.A
8.O
9.B
10.D
11.J
12.G
13.M
14.N
15.H


2)
1. robbed
2. stolen
3. burglary
4. make
5. suspect
6. give
7. pleaded
8. jury
9. convict
10. let off

No comments:

Post a Comment