Monday 26 October 2015

VOCABULARY: Weather Idioms (C1 / C2)



Match the idioms with their definitions:

1.         A: Why does she have a face like thunder??
B: She’s very upset because she didn’t get the promotion.

2.         It’s so unfair! It never rains, but it pours! I didn’t get the promotion and what is more I didn’t even get a pay rise!!

3.         A: I think I’m chasing rainbows. I will never get that promotion…
B: Oh! Don’t be so pessimistic!

4.         A: I just don’t know what I can do… I think I’m going to quit my job!
B: Don’t be silly! That all sounds like a storm in a teacup to me.

5.         Don’t forget he told you he was pleased with your job and gave you the afternoon off. Every cloud has a silver lining!



A.     To make your problems sound worse than what they really are
B.     To be very angry
C.     Even bad situations have positive aspects
D.    To wait for something that will never happen
E.     To have very big problems.







ANSWER KEY: 1. B , 2. E, 3. D, 4. A, 5. C 

No comments:

Post a Comment