Wednesday 21 October 2015

VOCABULARY: Actually (C1 / C2)

Actually is a very common word in English. Actually is what we know as a false friend because it does NOT mean at the present time. To mean at the present time we can use the word currently or the phrase at the moment.

We say:
I am currently working part-time OR I am working part-time at the moment.

Actually has several different uses and functions.

SOME USES OF ACTUALLY ARE:

1. to correct information or expectations
2. to confirm information or expectations
3. to clarify/give extra information
4. as a softener, before bad news
5. for emphasis, to introduce surprising information
6. to mean "in fact"

Now match the uses of actually with the sentences below.

A. The British actually like their pleasures small.
B. There is a big difference between the official way of doing things and the way things are actually done.
C. A: Has Fred sold his car yet? Yes he has, actually.
D. I'm in a hurry so I won't stop. Actually, I'm meeting Richard.
E. A: Are you still on for Friday. B: Well, actually, we're not going to be able to make it, I'm afraid.
F. A: When are you off on holiday? B: Well, actually, we're not going now.


ANSWER KEY:
A.6
B.5
C.2
D.3
E.4
F.1


If you found this post useful, you might want to consider subscribing to my blog for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment