Friday 13 November 2015

GRAMMAR: Auxiliary Verbs (B2)

Read the grammar notes and do the activities.


Auxiliary Verbs



1. Read the conversation.

A: You've never been to England, (1) have you?

B: No, (2) I haven't.

A: (3) Haven't you? . (4) I have. And I'm sure you'd love it!

B: (5) Would I? I'm not that sure...

A: (6) I am. You would love it and (7) so would your husband. 

B: In that case, I have to start planning my next trip.

A: (8) So have I!



2. Can you find the following...


A. An echo question
B. A question tag
C. A short answer.

3. Which auxiliary is used to...

a. to show surprise
b. to disagree
c. to check information
d. to avoid repetition.
e. to agree.


4. Now read the sentences and write correct echo questions for them.


  1. I don’t like chocolate.
  2. I’ve never been abroad.
  3. I always go swimming in the morning.
  4. I went shopping last night.
  5. I’ll never come back.
  6. I’d like to see her again.
  7. I was sick yesterday.
  8. I’m staying at home tonight.
  9. She hasn’t come to class.
  10. They are visiting us next weekend.


5. This time write questions tags for these sentences.



  1. You don’t like getting up early.
  2. She never exercises.
  3. He usually does his homework at night.
  4. They didn’t go to work yesterday.
  5. She will tell us next week.
  6. He’d like to meet us again.
  7. She wasn’t at home last week.
  8. You are going to buy a new car.
  9. You have never seen her.
  10. They are staying at home this weekend.

ANSWER KEY:

2.

A. 3, 5         B. 1          C. 2

3.

a. 3, 5          b. 4, 6       c. 1          d. 7         e. 8

4. 
1. don't you?
2. haven't you?
3. do you?
4. did you?
5. won't you?
6. would you?
7. were you?
8. are you?
9. hasn't she?
10. are they?

5. 
1. do you?
2. does she?
3. doesn't he?
4. did they?
5. won't she?
6. wouldn't he?
7. was she?
8. aren't you?
9. have you?
10 aren't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment